Elk Hunt 2008

Not much of an elk huh? I was on my way back to the truck when I jumped this cougar with her two kittens... When she saw me her kittens bolted and she ran straight at me hissing and roaring... I unshouldered my gun and yelled at her, but when I yelled she leaped at me from about 10 feet away. I stepped to the side and pulled the trigger from a hip shot position. The shot hit her in the neck and came out where you can see just behind the left shoulder. I really believe that she was protecting her kittens by "attacking" the threat..... After I changed my pants, the voice of my mother kept coming to mind, "make sure you don't go by yourself".




I called it in to the game and fish department that night and took the ranger into the kill site this morning. He aged the lion at about 6 years of age and around 130 pounds (a little less than my muscular 148). He took a statement and said I did the right thing.



YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Mariam said...

HOLY CRAP!!!!
That is some story. If you didn't have pictures to prove it I wouldn't have believed you.
I am glad that you are ok.

David said...

I've read a couple Reader's Digest articles in the past about people being mauled by cougars. It's not pleasant. Better get yourself a BIG knife, too!
Dad

Allison said...

Wow. Not only is that story amazing, but you got Mariam to practically swear!!! I am so glad you're okay and a quick thinker. A hip shot makes the whole things sound even more amazing. Since I was the one that usually went with you on the jack rabbit hunts, I am sorry I am not there to go with you on your elk hunts.

Unknown said...

That is seriously freaky!!

Carrie Randall said...

I'm glad you are okay. Kyle's pretty proud of you, he's telling everyone your story.

Julie Robinson said...

OK now you have a hunting story to tell the grandkids- did you get to keep it to make a rug like grandpa's bear??!! No really Cole is wondering!

Justin & Kamie said...

SCARY! I am so glad that you are a good shot and no harm came to you.

Makes me sad for the poor baby cougars though. :(

Patrick and Jennifer Thompson said...

All I have to say is SCARRY!!!!! I think I would have freaked, that is a good reminder to ALWAYS LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER!!!